Friday, August 13, 2010

Adverbs: In or out?

The RWA forums, especially the craft forum, have been busier than they have in the year since I started participating on them. I should probably more correctly say, since I became a lurker, I read but almost never post. Most of the time it’s because I don’t feel I have anything of substance to contribute. But other times I find the conversation so lively and informative that I just enjoy reading.  Every once in a while I’ll jump in on a topic that I feel compelled to participate in.

It was about 6 weeks before the RWA’s Annual Conference that I noticed an increase in posts on the craft forum and it hasn’t slowed down since returning from the conference. The level of help that is offered is outstanding—new authors pose questions while seasoned authors give exceptional advice. I've learned a lot being a lurker.

Adverbs

One recent discussion on the craft forum is one that comes up with some regularity, rules. Now there are some rules that all writers should follow, such as the rules regarding grammar, punctuation and spelling. Some of which I know I will never get right. But the ‘rule’ that was brought up in the forum this week was concerning agents and their dislike/hatred of adverbs. One newbie said she had heard all agents hate adverbs.

First of all, one cannot make a generalized statement about any group of people—ever. Every agent or editor is an individual and will have their own likes, dislikes, expectations and preferences, unknown quantities that one cannot judge or access. Second, thinking that all agents dislike adverbs, can shut down a writer’s willingness to submit. Actually I believe what is really being said here is ‘don’t overuse adverbs’. Chose strong verbs that will make your writing more interesting.

Rules

I hate rules for any type of art form. Rules can stifle creativity. BUT, you need to have a good understanding of them before you can start to break them. Many of the greatest writers and artists were rule breakers. But they first had to work within an established set of rules. Then they started pushing against the sides of the boxes containing those rules. They stretched, pulled and manipulated those rules to create something new and interesting.

Now, there are rules you will have to follow as a writer, the grammar, punctuation and spelling rules I mentioned at the beginning and the rules outlined for contest entries. Follow those to the letter if you want your contest submission in the voting pile instead of the disqualified heap.

So when you hear someone say or you read somewhere that agents and editors don’t like something, question it. Is it really a rule or is it a guideline? What is that guideline telling you? That agents and editors don’t like adverbs? Why don’t they like adverbs?  Think. Question. Push. Stretch. This stuff isn’t written in stone. Challenge yourself. Now, go out and break some rules!

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, I would be so lost without my adverbs. It pains me to reread my stuff and let some of them go, lol. But, I do agree with you, overkill on the adverbs can make for some icky reading.
    Keep sharing, Margaret, I am eager to hear more about your experience.
    Hugs
    Rain :^)

    ReplyDelete